Sunday 8 January 2012

a designer lurks in each and every one of us






This past week, fontshop asked its social media followers what, if any, good design had been seen over the holidays.

As I have been skiing in the Austrian alps, the extent of my contact to design has been reaching for the new & improved Nutella family pack at the local supermarket or noticing the latest killer graphics on a rad pair of skis while navigating the lift queues but I resolvedly scanned my mind for what I could have seen that would be worth to mention.

A Christmas present which I had received from my brother’s family came distinctly to mind. Not for the present itself, but for the ingenious packaging. I had, of course, seen the Paul Smith gift bag nestled snuggly under the tree, and it being one of my favourite brands, (it´s hard not to notice those iconic stripes) when it landed on my lap, i was secretly thrilled.

Upon closer inspection however, I happened to notice a small detail cleverly added above the much-revered Paul Smith wordmark. There, in what seemed to be normal copier paper was a cheeky, carefully mocked Paul Smith Script appliqué of the ever-so-powerful word „Not“. My sister-in-law, an MBA not an MFA, had successfully created the ultimate anti-brand.

I was struck not only by her witty, bold idea (how often have you thought to re-use a posh bag but shyly resisted?) but by her faithful recreation of such a subtle brand element in such convincing detail. That was good design – a clever idea lovingly executed to render impact or effect.

I went on to open the present, but it was the bag that made the blog.

1 comment:

  1. when you come to Brazil, you will be carried away by the design of the moasaic tile sidewalks. everyone is responsible for creating and maintaining their own sidewalk which has led to interesting contrasts.

    ReplyDelete